Garden Waste Collection
Changes to service
As we work towards saving £20 million, there will be some changes to your green garden waste service. By handling waste differently we will be able to make vital savings while still providing a good service. This means more of our remaining resources can go into other essential areas such as adult social care, libraries and children’s services.
Opt-in chargeable service
A new green garden waste service launches from 23 October 2017. Rather than withdrawing collections, we are following the example of many other local authorities by offering the service for a charge.
- For £75 a year - that’s £1.45 a week - you will get your own wheeled bin for garden waste, with weekly collections. If you feel you do not have space for a standard sized 240 litre bin then a supply of biodegradable sacks, or smaller 140 litre bins are available for £55 a year. Where possible, we recommend using a bin as this is the easiest and most efficient way of storing green garden waste.
- Starting from 23 October 2017 and for the price of 12 months, you will get your new service until April 2019
Current hessian sack collections will cease from 23 October. If you do not sign up to the new service by this date, your garden waste collection will stop. If you choose to sign up later, you will be provided with a new garden waste bin or sacks and your service will begin.
This is an opt-in service, and we are encouraging you to sign up early, so there is no delay in us getting your new garden waste bin or sacks to you.
Tell Veolia you want to sign up now by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8885 7700. From 23 October you can also sign up online.
Bins will be 240 litres (the same size as normal household waste bins), but if you think your garden is too small for a standard size bin, we can offer other options, including a smaller 140 litre bin or a supply of biodegradable sacks. You will not be able to place any additional waste beside your bin, so please ensure you have the correct capacity for your requirements. If you choose sacks, they will be composted along with your waste.
Make sure you sign up before April 2018 to get your full year.
- Find out more on the Veolia website (external link)
- Read the garden waste FAQs on the Veolia website (external link)
Please visit our Reuse and Recycling Page for other ways to dispose of your garden waste.
Alternatively, why not try home composting? It’s easy, cheap and transforms your kitchen and garden waste into valuable food for your garden.
Your garden waste will be collected at the same time as the rest of your recycling. To check your collection day please use the search function on the Veolia website (external link).
If you need any more information about the green garden waste service then please contact the Veolia Contact Centre:
- Tel: 020 8885 7700
- Email: email@example.com
You can use the green garden waste collection service to recycle the following green waste:
|Yes please||No thank you|
Japanese Knotweed: please see the Japanese Knotweed page
|Hedge clippings||Large branches|
|Prunings||Soil or sand|
|Flowers||Any other rubbish|
- If you have any branches larger than 8cm (3 inches) thick then these should be cut into smaller pieces and tied together with string before they are put out for collection.
- Please remember that we cannot take any other items of rubbish on the green garden waste collection service.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.